To be poor in spirit is to recognize my utter spiritual bankruptcy before God. It is understanding that I have absolutely nothing of worth to offer God. Being poor in spirit is admitting that, because of my sinful nature, I am completely destitute spiritually, and can do nothing to deliver myself from the condition of my heart.
Jesus is saying that, no matter your status in life, you must recognize your spiritual poverty before you can come to God in faith to receive the salvation He offers.
- I lack the compassion to be just
- I am unfaithful to others and inconsistent
- I judge myself by my intentions and others by their actions
- My flesh is continually pulling me to exalt self
- I am selfish, self-focused, self-absorbed, and self-obsessed
- The purest of my motivations is contaminated by self
I need you, God. I desperately need the Lord to set me free from my destructive, selfish nature–to deliver me from sin. Continue reading “Are You Poor In Spirit?” »